Date: 30th August 2014 at 7:48pm
Written by:

Watford came out on top in an incredible match at Vicarage Road this afternoon beating Huddersfield Town 4-2. Troy Deeney’s goal saw the Hornets go in 1-0 up at half time before an amazing second half. Harry Bunn equalised for the Terriers early in the second half before Almen Abdi restored Watford’s lead. Murray Wallace then equalised for a second time before the Hornets had Gabriel Tamas sent of for two bookings moments later. Keith Andrews then restored Watford’s lead mid-way through the second half before Abdi made the points safe in stoppage time.

Beppe Sannino made a number of changes from the midweek Carling Cup defeat reverting back to the League team. To that end, there were to changes from the side that beat Leeds Utd last weekend. Joel Ekstrand returned from suspension in place of Tommie Hoban and Ikechi Anya came in for Juan Carlos Paredes.

There was no place in the Huddersfield squad for former Hornet Jonathan Hogg who missed the game through injury. Nahki Wells was also an injury doubt and he only made the bench with James Vaughan starting in attack.

The Hornets started the game very brightly and could have taken the lead early on when Fernando Forestieri reacted to a Troy Deeney knock down and finished with aplomb only find the flag up. Forestieri did well again moments later when his run opened up space for Ikechi Anya but he dragged his shot just wide.

The Hornets then wasted an even better chance when Daniel Tozser’s long free kick found Deeney totally unmarked in the box but the striker headed wide.

Deeney did not have to wait long to put that right however, as he put the Hornets ahead after 15 minutes. Tozser won the ball in midfield and released Deeney who ran through and finished cooly past Alex Smithies.

Deeney came close to making it two only minutes later when he picked the ball up just inside the Huddersfield half and went on a mazy run into the penalty area but put his left footed shot into the side netting.

The Terriers looked dangerous going forward themselves and thought they’d equalised when James Vaughan pounced to stab in after Heurelho Gomes had spilled Conor Coady’s shot, only to find the flag raised.

Watford continued to dominate the first half and wasted further chances to pull away from Huddersfield before half time. First, Deeney shot wide from the edge of the box after Daniel Pudil found him, before Deeney again missed the target after Anya cut the ball back to him inside the box.

Half Time: Watford 1-0 Huddersfield Town
Second Half

Huddersfield started the second half well and found an equaliser after 48 minutes. Sean Scannell put in a dangerous cross from the right and a mix-up in the Watford defence allowed Harry Bunn to drill the ball into the net from inside the area.

However, the Hornets soon restored their lead through Almen Abdi after a defensive mix-up at the other end. Deeney’s cross into the Huddersfield box saw a mix-up between the two centre-backs with the ball breaking to Abdi who finished calmly passed Smithies.

The visitors continued to look good going forward and put Watford under pressure in search of their equaliser. Radoslaw Majewski put an effort just wide of the post while Vaughan saw a header well saved by Gomes.

Huddersfield did equalise for a second time after 64 minutes when a corner from Jacob Butterfield was headed in at the near post by Murray Wallace.

Things went from bad to worse for the Hornets just three minutes later when Gabriel Tamas, already on a yellow card, hacked down Harry Bunn on the halfway line and received a second yellow card.

However, Tamas’ dismissal spurred the Hornets on as they retook the lead for the third time after 68 minutes through Keith Andrews first goal for Watford. Abdi saw a free kick deflected wide, but from his resulting corner Andrews rose unmarked to head in via the bar.

Watford then had 20 minutes to hold on and set about their challenge backed by an increasingly raucous Vicarage Road crowd. Huddersfield through everything at the Hornets. Scannell failed to connect with substitute Nahki Wells low shot.

Wells went close himself after 83 minutes when he turned Joel Ekstrand on the edge of the box but shot straight at Gomes. The Hornets stopper also had to be alert to keep out Butterfield and substitute Adam Hammill.

With the game deep into six minutes of added time, the Hornets made the game safe and sent Vicarage Road wild through Abdi. Substitute Juan Carlos Paredes broke away and found Tozser who in turn found Abdi running through the middle. He cut inside the last defender and curled the ball into the top corner from the edge of the box.

Full Time: Watford 4-2 Huddersfield Town

Gomes, Tamas, Ekstrand, Angella, Anya (Hoban), Tozser, Abdi, Munari (Andrews), Forestieri (Paredes), Deeney

Subs Not Used: Bond (GK), Dyer, Ighalo, Vydra

Huddersfield Town: Smithies, Robinson, Wallace, Lynch, Dixon (Stead), Butterfield, Coady, Majewski, Scannell, Bunn (Hammill), Vaughan (Wells)

Subs Not Used: Murphy (GK), Crooks, Sinnott, Ward

Att: 14,409 (897 away)

Ref: Neil Swarbrick