Date: 11th August 2007 at 8:45pm
Written by:

“Grrr, good old Watford, can always rely on them to concede needlessly seconds before half-time”. Yes, they put us through the mill week in, week out, more often that not when we are actually expected to be succeeding. That was the case once again today as the Hornets left it later than late to claim victory at the Molinuex.

The first half seemed to pass Mick McCarthy`s Wolves side by as Watford took centre stage and controlled the proceedings. Although not peppering young Wayne Hennessey with shots every minute, the Wolves backline were certainly sweating in the evening sun.

After seven minutes the lead should have been Watford`s as Tamas Priskin worked himself into a good position down the right. His perfectly placed ball across the penalty area should have found Jobi McAnuff who had failed to make a run into the centre. Had he have gambled, the Jamaican would surely have marked his debut with a goal.

Watford continued to get wide and work hard down the flanks with Tommy Smith and Jobi McAnuff menacing Wolves full backs Gray and Collins. In the centre Lee Williamson was supporting the strike force well. It was Williamson`s free kick that nearly lead to a Watford goal as Jay DeMerit somehow failed to connect with the set-play.

Wolves did begin to come into the contest more after that scare and Andy Keogh proved pivotal in that as he combined well with Michael Kightly to blaze over before his part in the goal. It was the perfect pass from Keogh that set Seyi George Olofinjana free to dink the ball over Mart Poom.

Half-time: 1-0

The interval bought the withdrawal of Tamas Priskin who after making one great opening was his usual, hapless, uninterested self. Darius Henderson replaced the Hungarian to my approval at least, even if everyone else prefers to Magyar.

It was another substitute that helped win the game though, Steve Kabba of all people, a man frozen out of pre-season and sent to play with the reserves against League Two opposition all summer.

However, before Kabba`s heroics came those of a man who spent the majority of the promotion season being crudely treated by fans who were disillusioned by his performances. Jordan Stewart stepped up to the plate on eighty-five minutes thumped a tremendous nigh-on thirty yard free kick past Wayne Hennessy to equalise. His first goal for the club, and probably only considering his normally wayward shooting.

The winner came nine minutes later, deep into the allotted stoppage time. Steve Kabba found himself in the penalty area and, whether under his own weight or the attention of Neill Collins, tumbled to win a penalty which King duly converted. “I told you we would win, two-one I said, no-one would believe me”?Yes, Vital Watford readers, we all, even I, can be that fickle!

An afternoon dominated by Watford`s underdogs as they defeated the Wolves?

Watford: Poom; Doyley; Shittu, DeMerit, Stewart; Smith (Kabba), Mahon (c), Williamson, McAnuff; King and Priskin (Henderson).

Wolves: Hennessey; Collins, Ward, Breen (Edwards), Gray; Kightly, Potter, Olofinjana, S Ward; Keogh and Elliott (Bothroyd).

Manager Rating
Aidy Boothroyd (8)-Threw on Kabba and Henderson after going behind and the former played a huge part in the winner.

Opponent Rating
Mick McCarthy (5)-Saw his side outclassed in the first half, then fail to add to a goals advantage in the second before throwing it away in nine mad minutes.