Date: 14th September 2013 at 7:18pm
Written by:

WATFORD were left frustrated after being held to a 1-1 draw by Charlton Athletic at Vicarage Road this afternoon.

The result means Watford have now gone four without a win in the league but they are still unbeaten at home.

Gianfranco Zola made three changes from the side that lost at Blackpool before the international break with Essaid Belkalem, Daniel Pudil and Fernando Forestieri coming in for Joel Ekstrand, Ikechi Anya and Almen Abdi.

Watford started the game brightly and put together a few good moves with Fernando Forestieri shooting wide early on and Davide Faraoni coming close to connecting to a through ball.

Charlton were also looking dangerous going forward and Lawrie Wilson came within inches of finding Simon Church at the near post with a low cross. Charlton also had a goal ruled out for offside when the ball was bundled in following a goalmouth scramble from a free kick.

The first controversial incident of the game happened after half an hour. After Charlton were awarded a corner kick Simon Church appeared to shove Davide Faraoni in the face on a couple of occasions but only saw yellow from referee Andy Woolmer.

Hal-time: 0-0

Watford got off to the worst possible start in the second half as Charlton took the lead from the penalty spot after 47 minutes.

The Hornets’ defence was opened up by a long ball forward and Lawrie Wilson was brought down Essaid Belkalem.

French forward Yann Kermorgant gave Almunia no chance from the spot, smashing the ball into the roof of the net.

Watford then proceeded to make their best chances of the game. Troy Deeney turned a defender on the edge of the box and fire through a crowded area but Ben Hamer was able to stop the ball on the line.

Lewis McGugan missed the next big chance when Belkalem’s ball forward was chested down by Deeney into McGugan’s path but he fired just over clipping the top of the bar.

Watford equalised with 20 minutes left through Daniel Pudil. After a corner was cleared Diego Fabbrini fired through a crowded area and after Hamer could only push away Pudil was on hand to touch the ball in.

Watford did have one last chance to take all three points in stoppage time when substitute Ikechi Anya went on a run the length of the pitch and cut the ball back to Deeney but he fired wide.

Full Time: 1-1

Watford: Almunia (c); Belkalem, Angella, Cassetti; Faraoni (Anya), Iriney, McGugan, Pudil; Forestieri (Acuna), Fabbrini (Murray)& Deeney.

Subs Not Used: Bond (GK), Doyley, Smith & Battocchio.

Charlton: Hamer; Morrison, Wood, Dervite; Wilson, Jackson, Stephens, Pritchard, Wiggins; Kermorgant (Pigott) & Church (Cousins).

Subs Not Used: Alnwick (GK), Evina, Gower, Stewart & Sordell.