Date: 30th January 2008 at 8:02am
Written by:

From one extreme to another; the Hornets last away trip saw them beaten at then bottom of the league Deepdale, a ground they have not won at since pre-historic times. Last night however Watford returned to Sheffield, one of their happier hunting grounds to collect a solid point from United.

It could have been all three too, but and ‘inspired` half-time substitution from Blades gaffer Bryan Robson meant that David Carney snatched a leveller, twenty minutes into the second half.

Sheffield United had started the brighter, attacking Watford through Rob Hulse who had several early half-chances, the most notable of a which, a fifth minute header that threatened to squirm beyond Lee.

Another Lee, Hendrie this time, also threatened as he drove a relatively weak shot through Hornets bodies, but without enough power to trouble our Richard.

Watford chances were pretty much at a premium as the Hornets set-up to play as your typical away side. Many sides have come to Vicarage Road this season, soaked up the arial bombardment, then snatched a goal and all three, but this week, it was Watford`s turn.

Steve Kabba was ‘fouled` on the touchline by some clever refereeing from Lee Mason saw the play continue with Kabba who found Lee Williamson who set-up Nathan Ellington to strike into the bottom corner with aplomb.

Ellington was surely in for two fifteen minutes later as his one-two with Jobi McAnuff down the left flank saw his shot deflected for a corner. (Ellington had re-gained control of the ball after McAnuff placed it behind him.)

Kabba continued the half in the same rich vein, he and Smith linking up well to see Kabba shoot from the edge of the area; a shot that didn`t trouble Kenny hugely.

Veteran midfielder Gary Speed replied for the home side as he missed a glorious chance from a free header just before half-time.

Half-time: 0-1

Twenty minutes into the second half and Robson`s men fashioned and equaliser. A long throw into the penalty are from Gary Naysmith, centre-half Morgan`s flick to Hulse who picked out an impossible corner for Aussie David Carney to finish with ease.

Who says we play long-ball?!

Hulse caused havoc in the Hornets area alongside Morgan who came forward for set-pieces where it seemed most likely the Blades would take the lead as both won a number of flick-on`s in and around the area which were not taken advantage of.

Tommy Smith did have one half chance before the Bramall Lane boos rang out as his shot was blocked well after being sent through by O`Toole with 10 to go.
Full-time: 1-1

Sheffield United
Kenny, Bromby, Morgan, Ehiogu, Naysmith, Hendrie (Carney 46), Speed, Quinn (Tonge 78), Martin, Hulse, Shelton (Armstrong 82).
Subs Not Used: Kilgallon, Sharp.

Lee, Mariappa, Sadler, DeMerit, Doyley, Smith, O’Toole, McAnuff (Stewart 77), Williamson, Kabba, Ellington (Bangura 84).

Referee: Mr Lee Mason

Aidys Said:
‘I understand the fans because we get the same at our place, because there’s an expectation.
‘We’ve both come from the Premier League and we’re expected to win games and be up there.

‘Particularly with the lead we’ve had in the table, the players get nervous.’

Robson Said:
‘It was the sort of game I expected. In the first half Watford put the ball forward, there were a lot of high balls and battling for second balls.
‘I just thought our composure wasn’t there in the first half, we played into Watford’s hands.

‘But it was a great response in the second half from us, considering we played on Sunday. I think in the second half once we’d got the goal, there was only one team who would win it.’

Sources: BBC Sport