Date: 3rd October 2015 at 9:45pm
Written by:

Watford secured a point at Bournemouth this afternoon thanks to goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes who starred in a 1-1 draw at Dean Court. Glenn Murray put the hosts ahead after half an hour before Odion Ighalo capitalized on an error by Artur Boruc to bring Watford level on the stroke of half time. The Cherries were given a late chance to win it when they were awarded an 85th minute penalty but Heurelho Gomes denied Murray from the spot.

Quique Flores made one change from the team that lost at home to Crystal Palace last weekend with Nathan Ake making his first start in place of the injured Jose Manuel Jurado with Ikechi Anya taking a more advanced role.

Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe elected to start with Joshua King in attack in place of Callum Wilson who was ruled out for six months during the week after his injury at Stoke last weekend.

Bournemouth started the game very well putting the Watford defence under pressure. After just four minutes they had the first chance of the game when Matt Ritchie crossed in from the right and found Glenn Murray but he headed over the bar.

Joshua King looked lively in the opening exchanges as well and got in behind the Watford defence but saw his low cross cut out by Heurelho Gomes.

Watford’s first foray into Bournemouth territory lead to their first chance of the game when Troy Deeney picked out Allan Nyom on the right wing. He cut inside before having a decent effort blocked.

Watford kept the ball well as the first half settled down and midway through the first half they looked dangerous again when Etienne Capoue and Odion Ighalo linked together with the Nigerian’s shot blocked by Steve Cook.

The hosts continued to look dangerous going forward and Marc Pugh was the next to test Gomes when he shot from distance after combining well with Charlie Daniels.

The pressure from the Cherries paid off after 28 minutes when they took the lead through Glenn Murray. Incisive build up play saw Ritchie collect the ball on the right wing and cross for Murray to head home from six yards out.

Watford struggled to respond quickly to that setback as Bournemouth dominated the next period of the game. However, the Hornets went into the break level when they equalised through Ighalo after an inexplicable error from Artur Boruc.

Under no pressure at all Boruc attempted to play the ball out from the back only for Ighalo to intercept his pass, round the stricken ‘keeper and roll of the ball into an empty net.

Half Time: Bournemouth 1-1 Watford
Second Half

It was Bournemouth who came out of the blocks quicker in the second half and created the first opportunity when Simon Francis crossed deep into the box for Murray but his header was straight at Gomes.

However, the Hornets looked more dangerous going forward themselves and came close just moments later. After Ighalo had a goalbound effort blocked by Sylvain Distin the resulting corner fell to Ben Watson in the box but his effort came back off the crossbar.

Ighalo was at the centre of things again moments later when he broke forward and crossed into the box for the on running Ikechi Anya but he could only put his header wide.

Midway through the second half it was Anya who wasted an even better chance for the visitors. Almen Abdi received the ball after good build up play and he played in Anya down the left hand side by Boruc was at his best to deny him one-on-one.

As the game entered its final stages it was the hosts who got themselves on top again. Murray had another chance with a header when Francis found him in the box again but he headed wide.

After 82 minutes, Watford were forced to rely on their goalkeeper when Gomes made a spectacular save to keep them level. A Bournemouth set piece was cleared as far as Dan Gosling who teed up Steve Cook who tried an acrobatic overhead kick which was heading straight for the top corner until Gomes tipped it away superbly.

After 85 minutes Bournemouth got a chance to get ahead again when they were awarded a penalty after Adam Smith and Capoue tangled in the box.

Glenn Murray stepped up but was denied by Gomes who guessed the right way and clawed the spot kick away.

Full Time: Bournemouth 1-1 Watford

Boruc, Francis, Distin, Cook, Daniels, Ritchie, Gosling, Surman, Pugh (Smith), King (O’Kane), Murray

Subs Not Used: Federici (GK), Bennett, Cargill, Tomlin, Kermorgant

Watford: Gomes, Nyom (Ibarbo), Prodl, Cathcart, Ake, Capoue, Watson, Abdi (Guedioura), Deeney, Anya (Paredes), Ighalo

Subs Not Used: Arlauskis (GK), Britos, Dyer, Diamanti

Att: 11,187 (1,345 Hornets)

Ref: Mr Michael Oliver