Date: 4th December 2007 at 9:52pm
Written by:

Half right Aidy. Yes, drop Mahon, he`s not been playing fantastically, but why an earth do you drop your big, bustling, powerful forward in favour of a kid from the Eastern Block who is short of practice and out of form for a must win game at COLCHESTER?! Answer me that one, ‘football genius`. In fact, here`s another, ‘football genius` why drop Ellington, another ‘beast` out of the team all together. That`ll do his already low self esteem the world of good.

The first half was amongst the most lively you could hope for. Although it didn`t start well, oh boy, it didn`t start well.

After just seven minutes, Clive Platt was celebrating his second goal of the season against Boothroyd`s side when he profited from generous penalty area defending. Having missed the initial chance to head home at the near post, the ball bounced back to Platt who slashed the ball home at the near post. Doyley and Poom unable to prevent the U`s marksman finishing.

Watford could have replied instantly but the chance to head home at the far post fell to Tamas Priskin who managed to head wide.

Marlon King then made a chance for himself as he pulled the Colchester defence left and right before unleashing a right footed shot which Dean Gerken stopped despite and awkward bobble in front of him.

Watford`s fleeting moments of attacking force were short-lived however as after 25 minutes Matthew Connolly, on-loan from Arsenal, profited from more shocking defending. Another corner, another goal, Watford in disarray. Elokobi sent a powerful header across to the back stick, where Connolly nabbed the second with ease.

Jordan Stewart immediately set about making up for giving away the offending corner by walloping the crossbar of Dean Gerken`s relatively in tact goal. This was the catalyst for relentless Hornets attacking as the Golden Boys realised Aidy and Malky would be waiting for them come half time. John-Joe O`Toole and Jobi McAnuff were both denied by resolute defending before the first goal was pegged back.

Thirty-eight on the clock, cue Marlon magic as the Jamaican took control of Tom Smith`s perfect pass before whistling the ball past Dean Gerken to halve the deficit. Just a minute later, the ‘Orns leveled the playing field as Tommy Smith teased a beautiful ball into the back post for O`Toole to head his second in as many games.

Half-time 2-2

The second half was the Hornets, in goal-scoring terms at least, I can`t pass judgment on the second half as a whole. The crucial goal came twenty minutes into the second half, Tommy Smith with another delightful cross to the far post where Priskin had the easy job of dispatching his first league goal this term. A huge confidence boast for the Hungarian whose last goal was in the Carling Cup, way back in August.

Watford did look fragile on a couple of occasions, Lloyd Doyley the culprit as his woeful back pass was nearly picked up by an on-rushing Kevin Lisbie. Watford continued to apply the pressure and were nearly rewarded when King saw his shot palmed round the post by Dean Gerken.

Back to winning ways, thank God. And also thanks Coventry and Barnsley who beat West Brom and Wolves. Stoke looking tasty too, victors over Sheffield United. Perhaps Aidy was right about starting the temperamental Magyar?Aidy for England!?

Poom (Lee); Doyley, Shittu, DeMerit, Stewart; Smith, O’Toole, Williamson, McAnuff (Francis); King and Priskin (Henderson).

Colchester United
Gerken; Duguid, Conolly, Virgo, Elokobi; Yeates, Izzet, Jackson, McLeod (Sheringham); Lisbie and Platt.

Referee: Mr T Kettle.